Monday, January 16, 2017

The drawbacks of drawing

"Potter" by Amanda Wilner
22" x 30"

The draw backs of framing large drawings. Pun intended!

Working on paper is great- small psychological and financial initial investment. It's kind of like clay in this regard. Most of the time and money come after the piece is created.

If you've ever framed, matted and put glass or plexi on a large drawings and you're still doing that, then great. There are tons of artists who do this and have no problems with it.
I'm thinking of my friend Helen Gotlib, for example. She is smart and she has it done by a frame shop.
They also create a nice box for the work to go into. She would spend the same amount on framing as I would spend on day care for the year.

However, for me, there are just so many practical and psychological problems. For one, inevitably, I would forget to sign the work, or there was dust, or I wanted to work on it more after it was framed. After trying to sell the work at art fairs, what if a piece doesn't sell for that season? How long do you try to keep selling it before you take it out of the frame and rework it - or trash it?
Framing the work was either expensive- if you have it done, or time consuming, if you're doing it yourself. If you're doing it yourself, as I was, I ended up investing in a lot of framing supplies, like mat board, frame moulding, spacers etc..Think about the storage space! The frame is also apt to get damaged when you travel, unless you box each piece.
Well, now I am painting on canvas. I will have some information on large stretcher bars and canvas in the next post.

one person show at Simpson College, Indianola, IA
Sun Valley Art Fair

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment